Comprehensive Cancer Care
Fighting cancer takes a huge toll on your body. Up to 90 percent of individuals with cancer experience painful, function-limiting consequences brought on by chemotherapy, radiation and/or surgery. Cancer rehabilitation can help you prepare for treatment and maintain strength throughout your journey so you can get back to the things you care about most.
Whether it’s returning to the dance floor or going fishing again, Dignity Health Physical Therapy's specially trained physical, occupational and speech therapists want you to have the strength and function to achieve your goals.
Working with a cancer rehabilitation therapist can help you:
- Decrease pain and fatigue
- Improve balance and mobility
- Build strength and endurance
- Enhance memory and concentration
- Regain speech and swallowing abilities
- Improve bowel, bladder, and sexual function
- Reduce numbness and tingling
- Manage persistent swelling and other side effects
- Continue to engage in important daily activities and roles
What to expect
During your first session, a cancer rehabilitation therapist will:
- Conduct a detailed review of your history to fully understand your cancer journey and any medical or functional issues that might affect your recovery.
- Perform a specialized assessment to understand your specific goals and establish baseline measurements of strength, balance, mobility, endurance and more. This information will be used to create a tailored treatment plan for you.
- Provide specific education on the effects cancer and its treatments can have on your body, along with tools to proactively manage potential side effects.
- Create a customized treatment plan that may include hands on therapy, an individualized home program and tailored exercises to help you overcome challenges and meet your goals.
Throughout your cancer rehabilitation sessions, your therapist(s) will communicate progress to your cancer care team to keep them updated.
Cancer rehabilitation services are available in Dignity Health Physical Therapy’s outpatient centers as well as via telerehab in the comfort of your home. From diagnosis through survivorship, our trusted team is here to support you throughout your journey.