Specialized care for the hands and upper limbs
Dignity Health Physical Therapy's certified hand therapists (CHT) provide comprehensive and advanced treatments for hand, wrist, arm, elbow and shoulder injuries or conditions. Our team works with you to create an individualized program to return you to work, life and athletics as soon as possible.
Our goal is to restore function to your hand, wrist or arm using the latest treatments available. Your therapist will begin the evaluation by considering your worksite and other activities that are important to you, such as sports.
Treatments may include:
- Custom splint fabrication
- Therapeutic taping
- Hands-on-manipulation of joints or soft tissue
- Wound and scar care
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization/Graston technique
- Sensory Re-education
- Ergonomic Assessments
- Therapeutic Exercises and Activities
If you have a permanent arm or hand limitation, we can provide you with techniques, equipment and education to help you perform activities with less pain and more independence. Hand therapy can be used to treat many conditions, including:
- Amputations (upper extremity)
- Broken bones/fractures
- Burns and scars
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive motion disorders
- Chronic regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Cuts, infections and open wounds
- DeQuervain's disease
- Dislocations and sprains
- Jammed fingers and joints
- Joint stiffness
- Pain in the hand/arm
- Post-surgical procedures
- Repetitive strain, pulled muscles
- Sports-related injuries such as tennis elbow and golfer's elbow
- Swelling, numbness, tingling, weakness
- Tendon injuries
- Work-related injuries
Our CHTs receive advanced training consisting of more than 4,000 clinical hours and board certification testing by the Hand Therapy Certification Commission.
Additionally, our CHTs add certifications to their skill sets through ongoing education. They are committed to remaining current on the latest research and advancements, ensuring that we are using up-to-date techniques.